Sunday, May 13, 2012

It's in the bag...


Click for the big picture
Seems the thing to do if you run a tech site is to write about what you carry about in your bag on a daily basis. And while 'run' might be a bit optimistic for MyGadgetLife (more like 'curate'…) I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and post about the stuff I carry about with me pretty much everywhere.

First up is my trusty Swatch Irony. And it is an irony, since it's constructed mostly from aluminium, making it extremely lightweight and comfortable to wear. I've had this watch for nearly fifteen years - it keeps perfect time, is water resistant, has a stopwatch and tachymeter markings. One day I might figure out what they're for…

Next is my Nintendo 3DS. I love this for it's sheer quirkiness. Not only are there three cameras on board (the stereo pair at the front and one rear facing), there are no less than six - count 'em - six status LED dotted around. Astounding. What were they smoking when they designed this thing? "Only 5 LEDs? Are you quite MAD?!? More LEDs dammit!" But in Japanese. 

The 3DS is more than just the 3D - there has been some significant evolution between it and it's predecessor, the DSi. I'm talking about the 3D still and movie abilities, the augmented reality abilities (in 3D, natch), the gyroscope, the analogue stick, the drop in charging cradle. The ability to receive stuff while it's sleeping… neat. Oh and let's not forget the Mac-a-like 'snoozing' LED when you snap the lid shut.

Currently [still] playing Advance Wars DS.

Moving on, then. A simple aluminium case for caring my work permits and passes. Available from Muji.

Below that, an iPod nano. This was acquired through Apples nano replacement program late last year. The old nano… well the old nano was a great piece of engineering what with its classic polished stainless steel and lucite casing, scroll wheel and postage stamp sized screen. So when Apple announced potential problems with the battery and could we please send our (pretty much mint condition) Original nano back, well it was done with mixed feelings. So while I appreciate Apples' generosity in replacing the nano Original with a new model (and let's face it, they can afford to do this), I can't help the feeling that our old nano might end up in MOMA and that I might have to pay to see it again.

To go with the nano, there are my earbuds. In this case a pair of Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220s. These I purchased when massively discounted from their RRP. They sound great, significantly better than my old Sony EX71s and a pair of Sennheiser buds that make my ears hurt. The white earbud case is one I designed myself and had 3D printed. You can get one for yourself over at Shapeways.

Next is my Messograph pen, with built in Vernier calliper. For those times you absolutely have to know the dimensions of something to the nearest 0.1mm. Actually, this is a really well made item - chrome plated brass for the angular barrel, finely machined brass innards and aluminium clip to finish off. I like the little copper coloured rivets that hold the clip in place. As a pen, it's a bit awkward to hold, but the gas pressurised ballpoint writes nicely enough. Get yours from Cultpens.

The Sandisk memory stick is only 2Gb, but is stuffed with Portable Apps. With Inkscape, Gimp and Open Office, there's very little you can't do on any PC you happen to be near.

Up from that, a Kingston 16Gb memory stick, for, y'know, stuff.

The little Amzer micro-USB cable reel neatly avoids any cabling tangles at the bottom of my bag. Amazon.

That purple thing? A multi card reader. It cost a pound. A single GBP. And, yes, I did worry it might fry my $1000 laptop before plugging it in for the first time. But it didn't, it works great and so far hasn't dumped it's payload of malware. I am of course kidding… or am I?!?

Ok along from that is my Android, yes, Android powered Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S phone. Much better than the old HTC Magic. Has an 8Mp camera and does 720p video. Has a great screen and even the battery life is acceptable. It's a great phone.

Last is of course the iPad. If you hate the iPad and everything Apple stands for, I suggest you stop reading now.

I can't stress enough how transformational the iPad is as a device. As soon as it was announced I knew - just knew - that it would change our relationship with 'computers' for good. Now, of course, there are many, many competing devices of similar form factor and function, so the following equally applies to them as well as the iPad.

I pretty much use the iPad for all the main software categories - gaming, photos, music, movies, internet, email, calendar, books, interactive books, maps and productivity. That last category covers things like writing, photo editing, music creation and editing PDFs.

All in a sleek, solid state, aluminium and glass enclosure. Remarkable.

Apple's camera connection kit, pictured alongside the iPad let's me pull images off SD card and, curiously, allows me to attach a USB MIDI keyboard to interface with all that lovely music software.

So that's my bag. It keeps me amused, informed, entertained, creative and enlightened. All in one place.

No comments: